The term podcast refers to content in audio format developed on a regular basis and continuously over time (daily, weekly, monthly …). It is available on the Internet for download or streaming.
What is a podcast?
Although it has similarities with the conventional radio format, it differs from this means of communication in the possibility of downloading the material and listening to it whenever the listener wants. This type of content can be hosted on a website or blog, although it is common to find it on platforms such as iTunes, Spotify, SoundCloud or Ivoox, among others. It is characterized by its communicative relevance, since it can be used both in the field of entertainment and with informative or educational intentions. It allows you to exploit unlimited creativity.
Although this type of content is very booming today, it is not a newly created format, but has been running for almost two decades (it was promoted in 2004 by the entrepreneur Adam Curry). Interestingly, the meaning of the term has become outdated. This is due to its origin referring to the fusion of the word ‘iPod’ with the word ‘broadcast’. That is, it combined the concept of Apple’s now-defunct media player and the idea of content dissemination.
- Although there are many styles and approaches, all podcasts have common characteristics.
- Combination of voice, music and even other sound elements.
- Presentation in audio comprehension formats (such as mp3).
- Accommodation on online playback platforms (with the possibility of downloading).
Also, we must highlight the ease of developing the contents: although there are very professional podcasts, in general the realization of this format does not require a large outlay of money. Basic recording equipment is sufficient.
What are the advantages of a podcast?
The podcast stands out from other types of formats for two characteristics: the convenience they offer and the flexibility they provide. How do these particularities benefit the audience? If we take into account the accelerated rhythms of today’s society and the need to streamline certain processes, it is not strange the rise of alternatives that do not require dedicating 100% of a person’s attention. Thus, while reading or viewing content prevents the performance of other simultaneous tasks, the podcast facilitates the development of more than one task at a time.
How to use a podcast in your online marketing strategy?
As indicated in the previous section, it is a very practical format. That is why it is so interesting to incorporate it into a marketing strategy. Its ease of consumption and the fact of being able to enjoy the content without having to delay other tasks or activities (such as exercise practice, for example) make it a very powerful resource with which to reach the audience.
When it comes to taking it into account for any marketing strategy, we must know that the fundamental thing is to take advantage of its differential characteristics. In this line, some ideas of using the podcast in your online marketing strategy would be:
- That it is something complementary in relation to other contents such as a text. It does not matter to repeat information and seeks to offer additional information.
- It is a format that is highly considered by the public as a means through which you can answer questions, suggestions or complaints from followers or customers.
- It allows you to collaborate with experts on a certain topic or influencers from a certain sector.
Tips for using Podcasts:
If the idea is to optimize the use of the format, it is essential to take into account the following:
- Podcasts have to be published with a title and description with the right keywords . Let’s not forget to take into account the SEO parameters. Today search engines are not able to perform a proper audio search.
- You have to create a brand and position yourself as an expert in a topic, series of topics or a certain sector
- That it is something simple to elaborate does not mean that aspects can be neglected. We can’t overlook the audio quality and, in some cases, use both music and special effects to make it more engaging.