A Progressive Web App (PWA) is a technology promoted by Google. They are web apps that make use of the latest and most powerful technologies of browsers. That is, they combine the best of websites and the best of native apps. The intention is to offer users an experience that is closer from a native app to a web app. Web applications are characterized because they do not need any operating system to be supported but they do it through web pages in browsers. Thanks to progressive web applications we find a hybrid that works like native apps but works just like a web page.
Table of Contents
Characteristics of PWAs
Thanks to the support of new technologies, progressive web applications offer us an assortment of possibilities never seen before:
- Enhanced performance: thanks to a lower use of resources, they offer us a much higher performance than traditional apps, with lower loading times, sometimes instantaneous.
- Offline Work: without a doubt one of the great guarantees of this type of applications is the possibility of using them without having to be connected to the Internet.
- Ease for developers: and is that those programmers who launch to develop this type of applications will verify that they require much less time and investment to produce them which is undoubtedly a great added value.
- Very reduced use of resources: with all the advantages that this entails such as not taking up space in the memory of the devices.
- Adaptability: Most of these applications have a responsive design that allows them to work on computers, tablets and mobile devices.
Examples of progressive web apps
Here are some examples of progressive web apps:
- Messaging: messaging applications, such as Whatsapp or Telegram have created PWAs versions that allow you to use their services beyond smartphones.
- Eccomerce: the big eccomerces like Aliexpress or Amazon want to increase their presence at all costs and therefore have developed PWAs that allow them to increase their sales.
- Social networks: almost all social networks, such as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter currently incorporate progressive web applications, seeking above all the use in terminals with more limited resources.