Out-of-home (OOH) advertising, also known as outdoor advertising, refers to a form of advertising that takes place outside of homes and targets consumers as they move through public spaces. This form of advertising can take many forms, such as banners, in-vehicle advertising, billboards, public transport advertising, stadium and shopping mall advertising, and many others.
Table of Contents
Advantages of Out of Home (OOH) advertising
Among the benefits of the use of outdoor advertising we can mention the following
- Massive reach: OOH advertising can reach a large number of people in a short period of time. For example, an ad on a billboard can be seen by hundreds of thousands of people in a single day.
- Visual impact: OOH advertising stands out in public spaces and often captures audience attention more effectively than other advertising mediums. In addition, OOH advertising is complemented by mobile devices, as 66% of consumers use their phones while on the go.
- Precise targeting: OOH advertising allows you to reach a specific audience based on location, time of day, and demographics. For example, advertising on public transport may be targeted to people who use transportation regularly and have a specific demographic profile.
- Longer attention span: Consumers often spend more time watching OOH advertising than other advertising mediums. Ads on billboards or at public transit stations are visible for extended periods of time, increasing the likelihood that they will be remembered.
- Increased credibility: OOH advertising is considered more credible than other advertising mediums, such as online or print ads. Consumers see OOH advertising as a form of useful and reliable information that allows them to make informed decisions.
- Flexibility in creativity: OOH advertising allows for a lot of creativity in terms of ad layouts and formats. Companies can use interactive designs and advanced technology to engage the audience and make advertising more effective.
Examples of out-of-home (OOH) advertising
Some examples of OOH advertising:
- Digital billboards are a popular form of OOH advertising. According to a Nielsen study, 71% of American adults remember seeing an ad on a digital billboard in the past month. In addition, digital billboards have a 97% adoption rate worldwide.
- Advertising on public transport, such as buses and trains, is another effective form of OOH advertising. In the United States, 89% of public transportation riders watch advertising while traveling. In addition, the average time passengers spend on a bus or train is 30 minutes, which provides a great opportunity for advertisers to communicate with their target audience.
- Airport ads are a form of OOH advertising aimed at frequent and business travelers. According to a JCDecaux study, 87% of business travelers noticed advertising at the airport, 42% interacted with it, and 21% took action in response to it.
- Digital screens in malls are another popular form of OOH advertising. According to a study by Arbitron, 68% of shoppers recognize digital screens in shopping malls and 52% of them remember the brand or advertising message.
- Advertising at sporting events is a unique opportunity to reach a massive and engaged audience. According to a Nielsen study, live sporting events generate an average television audience of 8.9 million people. In addition, football games in the NFL have an average attendance of 66,000 viewers, providing a great opportunity for brands to reach a passionate audience.