is the most popular advertising format on the internet consisting of including a graphic advertising piece within a web page. They are designed with the intention of attracting attention, so they do not necessarily maintain the graphic line of the site. Their goal is usually either to generate advertising impacts through impressions, or to attract traffic through clicks to the advertiser’s website.
Banners are included in websites either by agreements between webmasters, with exchange of banners or economic agreement, or through platforms that allow their monetization such as Google Adsense.
Table of Contents
Banners are used primarily for an advertising purpose to publicize the advertiser’s products or services. Its most common use is for the promotion of brands, events, products or websites. They are an effective means for companies to advertise on the Internet. They allow businesses to advertise in different sizes and in different locations to specifically target the desired audience, while offering interactive buttons, text and animations that make them more attractive.
How Banners are measured
The fundamental metrics for measuring banners are Impressions (times a banner is displayed), Clicks (times users click on them) and CTR (number of clicks divided by number of impressions). This last metric is one of the most useful when assessing its performance, since the higher the CTR, the higher the interest shown by users in said banner.
Types of Banners
There are different types of advertising banners, each with a specific format that allows you to meet the required marketing objectives. Some of the most common types include:
- Static banner: it is the simplest format and consists of a still image that is displayed on the web page. It is effective in conveying clear and concise messages.
- Animated banner: this format consists of a series of images that follow one after another, creating an animation that can be more effective in capturing the attention of users.
- Floating banner: This is a banner that moves around the screen while the user navigates through the page. It can be effective in getting the user’s attention, but it can also be annoying.
- Pop-up: These banners emerge in a new window and are displayed above the main content of the page. They can be very effective in capturing users’ attention, but they can also be seen as intrusive.
In display advertising campaigns, many types of banners are used, some of which are the following:
- Rectangular: it is usually located at the headwaters or at the bottom (468×90, 728×90 …).
- Skyscrapers: they are usually placed in a left or right column (120×600, 160×600 ..).
- Page stealer: it is usually integrated into articles, with a usual width of 300 px.
- Expandable: with the extension of responsive design, they are becoming more common. Its size adapts to the type of device and the resolution of the screen.
- Interstitial: Open before loading a page. They are usually considered intrusive, but their effectiveness in capturing the user’s attention is important.
- Layer: also considered intrusive, they place a layer on the final page that must be closed expressly, or must wait for the scheduled exposure time.