A widget is a small application or program designed to facilitate access to the most used functions of a device. Its main feature is that they are integrated into the desktop of the computer or mobile phone and offer us visual information without the need to run anything else. The widgets are free and can be obtained through the Internet.
In programming, the term refers to the part of a GUI (graphical user interface) that allows the user to interconnect with the application and the operating system. Widgets display information and invite the user to act in various ways. Typical widgets include buttons, dialog boxes, pop-ups, drop-down menus, icons, scroll bars, resizable window borders, progress indicators, selection boxes, windows, cut-off menus, menu bars, switches, and forms.
These Widgets are not only found at the web level but it is possible to find them in operating systems such as Android, iPhone, Windows, etc. Thanks to this, we can add new functionalities that allow us to get more out of the different tools.
Types of widgets
Although there are several types of widgets, these are the most well-known and used.
- Desktop widgets. They are interactive tools that are downloaded to the computer’s desktop. This is the case of search engines, weather applications, clocks, etc.
- Mobile widgets. Same as the previous ones, but adapted to mobile technology. The easiest way to install them is to hold down your finger in an area of the screen where there are no icons and we will get a drop-down with the option of the different widgets.
- Physical widgets. They are compact mechanisms that integrate typical functions of widgets, such as alarms, weather, etc.
They are mostly not free and do not produce income. However, they are very valuable tools for companies to the extent that they can be used to generate traffic to the website or simply to create brand image (branding).
Best calendar widgets
Calendar widgets are, along with weather and map widgets, the most commonly used on websites. Here are just a few examples:
The Google Calendar app allows users to create personal or public calendars after signing up for a Google Account. The accounts are free and Google stores the calendars within its cloud computing system. That means the company stores the app and user information on its own servers. You can access the calendar through a widget on your mobile.
If you’re looking for density and speed, aCalendar might be a good choice. The app allows you to go back and forth between a bunch of different viewing options, including a very interesting day/week/reminder view.
DigiCal is a minimalist and easy-to-use calendar app that syncs with all calendar servers like Google Calendar, Outlook.com, and Exchange.
Our customizable widgets and built-in weather forecast make your home screen help you plan your daily activities in a fun and easy-to-use way.
Cozi Family Calendar and Lists
With this widget you can manage everyday life and keep the whole family abreathed of the leading digital organizer for families. Cozi organizes everyone’s schedules, activities, and appointments in one place that is accessible anytime, anywhere.
Widgets for WordPress
Widgets are elements widely used in the preparation of business websites made using WordPress. The usual thing is that they are located in the sidebar or slidebar, in the header (header) or in the footer of the page, and that they preserve the corporate colors and styles of the same.
In WordPress, a widget differs from a plugin in that the plugin brings functionality to the page, while the widget only shows it visually. To put it another way, all widgets have to be included in a plugin, but there may be plugins that do not have widgets.
Another difference between one term and the other is that plugins maintain their structure when the theme of a page designed with WordPress is modified, while the widgets change. To manage them from the WordPress side menu, you have to go to the ‘Plugins’ section and there you can check those that are already installed and add new ones.
If you are looking for recommendations on the most famous widgets in the text editor, these are just a few examples:
- Widgets to add icons and links to the company’s social networks.
- Google Maps. The ability to install a map with the exact location helps a local business a lot. The Google tool allows, in addition to showing the exact point, to see the journey by public transport or visualize the real appearance of the area with Google Street View.
- Most popular posts in a post. It is a way to guide the user on what to read and where to start. They are very useful to highlight certain publications.
- Google Adsense. It allows you to include third-party advertising through Google and monetize any website.
In addition to its insertion in a website, widgets allow you to use an Android application on a smartphone without having to open it. Its installation on the home page is very simple. Simply press for a long time on a place where there are no icons and select ‘widgets’ from the drop-down. Thus, we are offered a series of recommendations and you can choose the right one.
The most common mobile widgets are the Google search bar, weather queries or time and date. Some examples of these tools are:
- Overdrop Weather.
- The time in 14 days.
- Month Calendar.