Pinterest is a social network for the exchange of visual elements whose style is based on a “virtual board”, where users share their “pins”,that is, images or videos, grouped by themes, so that people can view them according to their interests.
Origin and evolution of Pinterest
Pinterest was founded by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp in March 2010. The initial goal was to create a platform that would help users discover and share visual content. Pinterest quickly gained popularity, allowing users to organize their interests more effectively and intuitively. Today, Pinterest has more than 100 million active users, making it one of the most popular online platforms for finding and sharing images and videos.
How Pinterest works
Its mechanics are very simple: when you register you create a profile with your personal information and within it you can publish planks, in the purest style of “wall cork”, about the topics you specify to hang your pins on them. People who like your content will be able to “pin” it, that is, share it and you can even create collaborative boards managed by several users.
It is a very useful tool to collect and organize ideas for projects, home inspiration, fashion and much more.
Within the field of digital marketing Pinterest has become a widely used platform, its growing popularity and its multiple utilities have made this social network a highly recommended idea for all Social Media Marketing strategies. Among all the functionalities offered by this network we highlight the ideas:
- Look for inspiration: probably the most sought after utility through Pinterest, the way it organizes its contents and that these are increasingly numerous propitiate it to be an ideal place to find ideas and do “brainstorming”.
- Promote your brand: If your company works visual marketing, Pinterest is your place. The social network allows you to create company profiles through which to win potential customers, be in contact with users and generate engagement.
- Improves organic positioning: Pinterest is ideal for improving SEO since through your business profile you can redirect relevant traffic to your website. One of the best ways to do this is to link the pins you post to the products in your store or eCommerce.
- Source of information: thanks to Pinterest you can be aware of the news that appear in your business sector and know data about the type of consumers.
How to optimize Pinterest
Some of the recommendations to have a successful account on Pinterest are:
- Optimize the profile. It should be complete and up-to-date, with a clear and professional portrait and an attractive biography for users.
- Create quality content that is attractive and relevant to users interested in the same topic.
- Use hashtags so that other users can find the posts more easily.
- Engage with other users. Follow people with similar interests, like their pins, comment on their posts, and repine content from others to show appreciation for their work.
- Promote pins by sharing them on social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, or even using paid advertising campaigns if more exposure is desired.
- Analyze performance. Use analytics tools to see what content works best.
- Join related group boards. This will allow you to increase engagement with other users who share those same interests and make the pins seen by a wider audience.
- Be creative, without fear of experimenting with different types of content, formats and strategies to see what works best.