Google LCC is a subsidiary of the Alphabet conglomerate, owner of the most important search engine of the same name in the Internet sector worldwide. In the Google ecosystem, in addition to the search engine, there are many tools such as Gmail, Google Maps, Google Play Store, Google Drive, etc.
The name derives from the word googol, a mathematical expression that refers to a 1 followed by 100 zeros. According to its founders it perfectly reflected the mission they had, which was to organize the information of the world so that it was accessible and useful.
History of Google
Google’s story begins in 1995 at Stanford University. Larry Page and Sergey Brian, who were pursuing a PhD in computing, began creating BackRub, a system for organizing search engine results. In this way, what would later be called Google emerged.
The first version of Google was released in August 1996. It was such a colossal project that it used almost half the bandwidth of the university’s network. In 1997 is when the registration of the domain google.com was made. From that moment he began a great growth that led him to dethrone classic search engines such as Altavista or Yahoo.
In a few years, Google has positioned itself as one of the first providers in reference services. All this because it has numerous services, applications and platforms.
Today, Google offers, among others, the following services:
- Google Chrome. It’s Google’s browser. It is a proprietary or closed source software website developed by Google. It is offered completely free of charge. We can find it operational in almost all operating systems.
- YouTube. Although at first it was created by other people, having achieved great social support and becoming one of the most important in the world of online videos, it was bought by Google in 2006.
- Gmail. The way to manage our mail. It is a mail service with POP3 and IMAP possibilities developed by it. It is a simple and intuitive interface, its technological innovations, its enormous capacity to store and archive emails and its complete optimization and adaptation to the rest of Google services.
- Android, the mobile operating system. It is a system that is based on linux, which was created in 2005 and was bought by Google in 2008. It is currently one of the most widely used operating systems.
- Google Drive. It is an online file storage service offered by Google since 2012. It allows us to share and exchange files from anywhere in the world through the various devices.
- Google Docs. It is the service offered by Google so that users can create and edit documents online. It contains its own tools for word processing, presentation editor, spreadsheet maker, etc. In short, it is a good alternative for Office packages.
- Google Search Console and Google Analytics. They are the tools that Google gives us to be able to measure both the performance and the search traffic that is generated on our website and how it can be improved. They are one of the most used tools by digital marketers.
- Google Ads. It was created in 2000 and aims to offer companies sponsored advertising. They appear in the SERP along with organic or natural results, both at the beginning and end of the first page.
- Google My Business. It was created in 2014 and is a tool, totally free, that favors to be able to manage the image that a company gives itself abroad and optimize it in the best possible way. Both the schedules of the company are established, as well as the contact, address …
- Google Earth. It is a geographic information system that shows the virtual globe that allows multiple cartography to be visualized, based on satellite images.
- Pixel (Smartphones). The Pixel and Pixel XL are Android smartphones, which have been created, designed and developed by Google. They were unveiled in 2016 and their most recent evolution is the Pixel 6.
- Google Books. Project born in 2004 with the idea of creating a fully digititalized library. It favors users who can browse through millions of documents and books over the internet.
- Google Discover. It is presented as an alternative to compete with social networks. Information related to the tastes and queries of users is displayed thanks to the information that Google and AI collate.
- Google Maps is a tool that helps us geolocate a specific point, calculate routes and search for sites of interest. All this is helped by
Google Street View.
- Google Shopping. It is a service that works as a virtual showcase, where sellers advertise their products with all the necessary information (prices, promotions, availability, measures …)