Android is a mobile operating system designed by the American company Google. Based on the Linux operating system, its initial objective was to promote the use of an open, free, multiplatform and very secure system, adapted to mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Since its creation, the system has made a strong commitment to attract developers, so it has a variation of Java called Dalvik that allows you to develop applications that exploit the utilities of the devices in a very simple way.
The logo of the brand is a green android (robot), with a minimalist design and rounded shapes.
History of Android
In 2005 the multinational Google, known for its search engine that we use for SEO positioning, acquires the software company Android Inc. Founded in California in 2003, Android Inc was developing a system-based operating system for Linux computers. With the acquisition of the company by Google, the development of the system continued until in 2007 the creation of the Open Handset Alliancewas announced, a union of hardware and software developers. That same year the launch of the Android 1.0 operating system is announced and a year later, in 2008 the first devices that incorporate it are put on sale.
In just 2 years, the system is a resounding success so that already in 2011 it reaches a market share of more than 50%. Since then the operating system has received dozens of updates, millions of applications for its store, the App Store, and is the undisputed leader of operating systems for mobile devices.
Main features of Android
Undoubtedly, the success of this operating system is based on the multiple differentiating features that have made it stand out from its competitors. Among the main features, we highlight:
- Interface: although it may vary slightly depending on the mobile manufacturer, in general it follows the same line for everyone. This is characterized by a very accessible and intuitive design, and above all very customizable thanks to the launchers, widgets and toolbars. All installed applications are grouped in a kind of drawer from where we can manage them.
- Security: since its inception one of the banners of the android system has been the security of its users. With each new update of the system it has been incorporating more security processes, although at the level of privacy there has always been controversy due to the sale of user information to other companies.
- Apps: Android has always been strongly committed to the free development of applications. Because of this, today it has more than 400,000 apps available in its official store, the App Store. However, everything that glitters is not gold and the large number of applications has also led to the appearance of copies and plagiarism of irrelevant applications.
- Adaptability: Android has always been conceived as a multiplatform system that could reach the largest number of people and that is why it is adaptable to all types of screens and resolutions.
- Kernel: based on the Linux Kernel, it is an open source system to make it easier to attract programmers and developers.