WeChat is a mobile messaging app and social media platform that was developed by Chinese company Tencent in 2011. With more than one billion active users built on a high-tech communication infrastructure, WeChat has become one of the most widely used apps in China and elsewhere in the world.
One of the main features of WeChat is its ability to allow users to communicate with their friends and family using text, voice and video messaging. It also offers a wide range of services, including the possibility of making financial transactions, paying bills, booking train or plane travel, as well as the possibility of making purchases online.
Origin and evolution of WeChat
WeChat was launched in January 2011 by Tencent in China. In March 2012, WeChat reached 100 million registered users. In 2013, the international version of the app was released, allowing its expansion outside of China. In 2014, WeChat reached 355 million monthly active users. In 2015, the app included a mobile payments feature, which became one of WeChat’s key features. In 2016, the number of daily active WeChat users exceeded 700 million. In 2017, WeChat received the award for Best Mobile App at the China Internet Awards. In 2018, WeChat launched its own mini-program platform, which allows users to access apps within the same app. In 2020, the number of daily active WeChat users exceeded one billion.
As for its evolution, WeChat has been growing and evolving since its launch in 2011. It has been incorporating new features and improvements, such as the ability to make financial transactions, the reservation of travel by train or plane, the possibility of making purchases online and, more recently, the inclusion of mini-programs. In addition, WeChat has expanded outside of China and has become one of the most widely used apps worldwide.
Here are some of the WeChat functionalities with more details and additional facts for greater semantic richness:
- Text, voice, and video messaging: WeChat allows users to send text and voice messages for free. It is also possible to make video calls with friends and family around the world at no extra charge.
- Mobile Payment: WeChat is integrated with WeChat Pay, a mobile payment service that allows users to conduct financial transactions, including online and offline payments, money transfers, and more.
- Reservations: WeChat offers a wide range of booking services, such as train or plane travel, hotel booking, restaurant booking and more. Users can do them directly from the platform.
- Online shopping: WeChat is one of the most important e-commerce platforms in China. Users can purchase products directly in the app and pay with WeChat Pay. Retailers can also use WeChat as an online selling platform.
- Mini programs: WeChat has a mini program feature that allows businesses and developers to create lightweight apps that can be used without installing a separate app. These mini programs can perform a wide range of functions, such as food ordering and travel bookings.