Product placement, also known as product placement, is an advertising technique that consists of showing products or brands in specific contexts within a movie, television program, video game or any other audiovisual medium. The objective of this advertising strategy is to make viewers relate the product or brand with a positive and pleasant context, thus encouraging their recall and facilitating their purchase.
Product placement has become an extremely effective tool for brands seeking to increase their visibility and notoriety, as it allows reaching a mass audience in a non-intrusive way and with a high level of persuasion. Likewise, this technique allows brands to associate with content that has a great acceptance by the target audience, which gives them greater credibility and reputation.
Table of Contents
Advantages of product placement
Product placement has established itself as a highly effective advertising tool for brands, for several reasons:
- Reach a mass audience: Unlike other advertising formats, such as TV or online ads, product placement does not interrupt the user experience, but is naturally integrated into the content. This makes it more effective, as viewers are more willing to pay attention and remember the product or brand shown to them.
- It generates greater impact and recall: according to several studies, product placement is more effective than other advertising formats in terms of generating recall and increasing purchase intention. For example, a study by the Nielsen agency showed that product placement increases product or brand recall by 20%.
- Positive association and credibility: By showing the product or brand in a specific context within the content, a psychological association is generated between the two elements. If the content is positive and pleasant, that favorable image is automatically transmitted to the product or brand. This can help create a more positive and attractive image for consumers, which translates into greater credibility and reputation.
- Longer duration and reach: Unlike traditional ads, which have a specific and limited duration, product placement can be remembered and commented on by viewers long after the original content has aired. In addition, with the rise of social networks, product placement can generate buzz and virality, which further increases its reach and effectiveness.
Examples of product placement in digital marketing
Product placement has evolved and successfully adapted to the world of digital marketing. Here are some examples of how brands have incorporated this technique into their online marketing strategies:
- Influencer marketing: Influencers have proven to be a powerful tool for brands looking to promote their products or services online. Some influencers include brands in their social media posts naturally and consistently with their content, which can lead to greater brand recall and credibility. In addition, by working with influencers instead of including traditional ads, brands can reach specific and highly segmented audiences.
- Product placement in video games: more and more video game companies include products or brands within their games as part of their advertising strategy. For example, in EA Sports’ “FIFA” game, several sportswear brands are naturally included in the game, creating a positive association with the products for in-game users.
- TV shows and online series: Brands can pay for their products or services to appear in scenes of TV shows and online series at key moments, which can generate greater recall and credibility for the brand. For example, in the popular series “Stranger Things,” ice cream brand Baskin-Robbins was included in several scenes, leading to increased brand awareness and positive association with the series.
In conclusion, product placement has proven to be a highly effective advertising technique adaptable to different media, including digital marketing. By using this technique strategically and consistently with content, brands can generate positive associations, recall and credibility, which translates into greater impact and effectiveness in their online marketing campaigns.