Friendly URLs , also called Semantic URLs, is an easy-to-understand URL for both search engines and the website user. These are directions that are easy thanks to their structure and shape.
Friendly URLs move away from dynamics, eliminating any kind of strange sign or numbering. They offer clear and accurate information on the content of the page they are targeting. In other words, with a single glance at the url we can know the content of the page.
What are friendly URLs for?
Friendly URLs serve, in the first place, to improve the experience of users. It allows them a quick memorization and with it it is easier to remember it and enter it again.
But in addition, they have a clear impact on SEO and search engines. Google rewards those accounts that have simple addresses.
We can say, therefore, that it has a double purpose and that in both cases it only brings benefits to the web that owns it. It is considered one of the key points of a good webmaster.
How to create a friendly URL?
It is essential, before making any publication on the website, to make a careful observation not only to the title or meta description but it is also important that you change its automatic address to one that is friendly.
To do this, the following tips must be taken into account:
- Short sentences that allow you to easily identify the content of the post.
- Include keywords for which you want to position the article.
- It should be short but not excessive. The friendly url seeks to provide the necessary information for the user to interpret it rather than read it. The optimal thing would be that it will not exceed 70 characters.
- Separate words with hyphens. For Google, a script is a space so the meaning of the sentence you write is not altered.
- Do not use punctuation marks.
- Write in lowercase and avoid the use of tildes, the letter ñ and other special characters.
- It is not forbidden but it is not advisable to use prepositions and indefinite articles such as “the”, “the”, “of”, “with”, “for” and other similar, as they do not add meaning to the address and are irrelevant.
- Do not add the extension of the created file.
- Once you choose a structure, use it in all your articles
Advantages of friendly URLs
The advantages of a friendly URL are as follows:
- They are understandable and easy for the user to understand.
- They provide meaning about the content found on the page.
- They help improve positioning because they allow keywords to be used and are better indexed in Google.
- Improve the user experience.
- They can be shared, as they are easier to memorize.
- They increase the number of times you click on it, since they are much more attractive than automatic ones that do not make sense or are very long.
- The image of the web is better. It shows that it is up to date with new trends.
Are there tools that make it easier to create friendly URLs?
The answer is yes. There are both tools and plugins that perform this function. If you are using some kind of CMS you can enable friendly urls by generating the file .htaccess and so your new urls will be friendly.
In WordPress you can also generate friendly URLs automatically on each new content you create and publish. The process would be very simple, you have to access the WP administration control panel, then the settings and then permalinks. There you can choose the desired URL format and you can save the changes. This way every new content page you create is hosted in a friendly URL