Amazon is an American technology multinational specializing in e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming and artificial intelligence. Founded in 1994 by Jeff Bezos, Amazon is one of the largest online retailers in the world, offering a range of products ranging from books and music to furniture and clothing. It also offers services like Amazon Prime, which offers unlimited streaming access to movies and TV shows, as well as free two-day shipping on millions of items.
Origin and evolution of Amazon
Here are the key dates in Amazon’s evolution to the present:
- 1994: Jeff Bezos founds Amazon.
- 1995: The company begins selling books online, becoming one of the first major online retailers.
- 1996: Amazon expands into music, video and other products, launching its first non-English website in Canada.
- 1999: Amazon goes public on the NASDAQ stock exchange.
- 2000: Amazon expands into new product categories, such as toys and electronics, and launches its website in other languages.
- 2003: Amazon introduces its Prime affiliate program, which offers unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products, plus other exclusive benefits.
- 2006: Amazon continues to expand and launches its Kindle e-reader and opens a physical store in Seattle.
- 2008: Amazon launches its cloud computing platform, Amazon Web Services, and begins offering the Amazon Prime video streaming service to customers around the world.
- 2011: The company continues to grow its presence in new markets, acquiring online footwear retailer Zappos and launching Amazon prime music streaming. Open Amazon Spain.
- 2017: Amazon continues to lead in the e-commerce space, introducing Amazon Prime Now same-day delivery and Amazon Go physical stores. As one of the most valuable companies in the world, it continues to invest heavily in new technologies and services for its customers.
- 2021: The Covid pandemic makes Amazon one of the main beneficiaries at the enterprise level, with sales of 470,000 million.
What services Amazon offers
Among the services offered by Amazon we can highlight:
- Amazon Prime: Amazon Prime is a subscription service that offers unlimited streaming access to movies and TV shows, plus free two-day shipping.
- Amazon Prime Video: Amazon Prime Video is a streaming service that offers thousands of movies and TV shows, including originals.
- Amazon web services: Amazon web services (or AWS) is a cloud computing platform that offers access to a number of specialized services.
- Amazon Fresh: Fresh produce delivery service to customers worldwide.
- Amazon Go: Amazon Go is a physical store that uses advanced technology to streamline the buying process and make you find what you need.
How to sell on Amazon
To become a seller on Amazon, you need to follow the following steps:
- Create a seller account on Amazon. This can be done through Amazon’s website or mobile app.
- Choose between two seller account options: Individual or Professional. The Individual option is suitable for casual sellers who plan to sell fewer than 40 products per month. The Professional option is recommended for sellers who plan to sell more than 40 products per month and are willing to pay a monthly fee.
- Provide account information and accept Amazon’s terms and conditions.
- Create a seller profile on Amazon. This should include information about the company and the products being offered, as well as a profile picture and logo if one is available.
- Add the products to the Amazon platform. This can be done manually or by using an inventory loading tool to upload multiple products at once.
- Set up your payment and shipping method. Amazon will provide options to set how you want to receive the profits and how you want to ship the products to customers.
- Promote the products. Amazon’s marketing tools, such as sponsored ads and advertising programs, can be used to increase product visibility. Products can also be promoted on social media and other online marketing channels.