, as their name indicates, are domains that have been prescribed. There are multiple reasons, from the fact that the owner no longer needs that domain to a forgetfulness of payment of the annual registration fee.
What are expired domains?
Expired domains are domains that have expired (for different reasons). The domain is free to access and is therefore available to be repurchased. Among the most common reasons for the expiration of a domain are:
- Oversights on the part of the former owner when renewing the domain.
- Disappearance of the brand to which the domain was dedicated, so the existence of that name is meaningless.
- Lack of funds from the former owner of the domain.
Expired domain and SEO
In the world of web positioning, the existence of expired domains is very common; in fact, buying expired SEO domains is used to:
- Develop new web pages under that domain that already has quality backlinks in its link profile.
- Redirect all backlinks pointing to the expired domain to another. In this way, with a minimum investment, it is possible to get a good amount of links to the new web project.
- Create automatic web pages from Amazon affiliates, Adsense…
Advantages and disadvantages of expired domain
Among the advantages of the expired domain are:
- Achievement of domains that have a number of external dofollow links.
- Obtaining domains with a certain age that have a preference for Google.
- Circumvention of the sandbox that every created domain has to suffer on the Internet.
- Streamlining the ranking of keywords of a new project mounted on an expired domain.
However, it also has certain disadvantages. The main ones are:
- Possibility of a penalty if Google detects the use of this technique.
- Loss of money in case of a bad choice of the expired domain. For example, in the case of acquiring a domain vetoed by Google.
- Competition, because more and more people are looking for an expired domain.
- Problems redirecting expired domains to other domains to transfer their authority.
- Difficulty determining the expiration of a domain. In this case, the simplest method to find out is to go to the WhoIs of the same.