Design thinking is a methodology for generating ideas and solving problems, whose approach aims to deepen the user’s thinking through interactions that add value to people.
It is a technique that is recently reaching great notoriety thanks to its effectiveness and its propensity to produce innovative solutions in a short time, and that in Digital Marketing is very useful.
Stages in Design Thinking
There are 5 phases or stages that make up the Design Thinking process. All of them drink from the previous ones and feed each other At any point in the process we can go back to an earlier stage. The 5 phases are:
- Empathize: This stage focuses on understanding what is truly important to the user. To do this, it is necessary to carry out an exercise of understanding about the context that surrounds them, to put themselves in the shoes of them in order to capture the true solution to their problems.
- Define: at this point, it is about prioritizing the knowledge extracted during the first phase in what is really important to improve the problems we face.
- Ideate: defined the problems to be solved, it is time to propose all kinds of solutions to face them.
- Prototyping: in the fourth phase it is time to tangibilize those ideas that we have been developing during the previous phases so that they converge in a tangible reality, a material prototype.
- Validate: finally it is time to test our prototype together with the user, analyze its operation and extract conclusione to see how we can adapt it to the maximum to their needs.
Design Thinking Techniques
There are countless techniques for each of the 5 phases of Design Thinking, the most remarkable:
- Empathy: Cognitive immersion ( understanding the present reality through putting ourselves in the place of the other person), mental map (branching from a central theme all the concepts related to it so that we can assess the connection between them) and SWOT matrix.
- Definition: Insights( recognize that relevant information on which we can produce utility) and moodboard( graphic tool through which through images we try to express concepts).
- Ideation: Storytelling:( tell a story about an idea to make it closer to the receiver), SCAMPER( produce new ideas on existing ones by applying different hypotheses).
- Prototyping: Infographics, Impact Mapping( through the What?, How?, Who? and Why? is about refining an idea anywhere in the process).
- Testing: test notes (gather all the information generated during the process) and usability test (check the usability of the prototype).