The changes of the digital age, a term that has been in our mouths for many years now, apply to all aspects of society. The set of these modifications is known as digital transformation,which in simple language could be “moving from paper to the screen”. These reforms affect both business and other segments of society, such as institutions, media, art, medicine or research.
The new generations, known as digital natives, cannot imagine life without the internet, mobile phones or any device we use today. Many of us remember what our day to day was like without these elements and how we changed them to facilitate our daily tasks. We ourselves, in our digital strategy agency,saw the advantages of adapting to certain advances, living in our own flesh a digital transformation.
Table of Contents
Computer science was essential for the mechanization of processes, but the ability to connect equipment between them was a huge step that many people have not yet been able to accept, even though the information is available to everyone. Removing those that are born directly from the web, small and medium-sized companies are usually the most reluctant to this change, necessary on many occasions if we want to keep the business afloat. The transition from a traditional business to one with content on the web is available to everyone, and one is not exclusive of the other.
If we observe this transformation in business, we will see that consumption habits also change, as well as the communication between the company and the client, which goes from being unidirectional to bidirectional, from which new forms of management arise. Digital transformation is not only about using new technologies and their implementation,but also knowing how to look for a business strategy according to these technical capabilities and the changes they produce in our company. These changes do not always happen at all levels, in many cases it is simply a combination between traditional business and new technologies. Therefore, it is often advisable to request help from a professional to assist us for a correct transition.
In addition, digital transformation does not only mean integrating into the online world. For example, today there is a lot of navigation through the mobile and tablet, which should again transform the way companies offer. In many cases this means that you have to modify the website to make it more suitable for these devices or create applications accordingly. To achieve an optimal digital transformation,you have to observe what the company is trying to achieve, not look at the available technology or how the latter works.
This is why a company must consider its objectives well before starting the digital transformation. Then, you must study the tools at your disposal and train for their correct use. If the company does not know how to handle digital platforms, it will be as if it does not exist on the network. All this has an impact on the final step, the assimilation by users, which must be natural and never forced, since it could mean rejection by it.
To perform a digital transformation of any business effectively, it is advisable to follow five steps:
- Make a model of your existing business, of all the processes that are carried out inside and its operation. From there, it is advisable to consult experts, and develop several hypothetical models that change the variables of the business and thus be able to predict improvements in transformation.
- Define which are the points to improve in business processes. This is done by collecting cost-benefit data from the current model and comparing them with the simulations performed. It’s also a good point to study the competition and see what they’re doing better than us.
- Sets the priority for each transformation option. To do this, we must set the goal or objective of the transition, as well as adjust the time, budget, market constraints and knowledge we have. In this step we highly recommend the advice of professionals outside the company, since they are not “contaminated” by it.
- Identifies the technologies and strategies available and necessary for transformation. You also have to study if your employees are able to handle them and the profitability offered by the transition.
- Make the necessary changes, always respecting the traditional lines of business. The ideal is a combination between the off-line business and the on-line. Digital transformation takes time, but it is sure to be effective.